- Grown men who refer to grown women affectionately as "baby girl". It seems so condescending to me. Even if it isn't meant that way. I just don't like it.
- Listening to NPR yesterday, and people just going off about how gay marriage shouldn't be legalized because "God states very clearly in the Bible that it displeases him" and that, "It's goes against tradition." Okay, I get it. You are allowed to not like gay marriage. I happen to fully support it, and consider it to be a human right. If we only stuck with tradition, I wouldn't be allowed to vote. Or have my own religious (or otherwise) beliefs. My husband could beat the shit out of me all day long and it wouldn't matter, because I would be his property. Good thing we told tradition to suck it, yes? Why do we need to keep gay people from getting married simply because it is non-traditional? Why do people need to push their religious views into the laws? You don't have to like gay marriage. You can even go ahead and think it's evil. You can think that a side effect of gay marriage is global warming, if you want to. But allowing gay people to get married isn't destroying your marriage or your family, or even our society. And keeping them from getting married isn't making anyone less gay, if that's what you were hoping for. Live and let live, dude. Better yet, live and let love.
- Seeing such venom from people over a popular blogger's divorce. Just in a quick google search, I found hundreds of sites where people had posted joyously that this couple was breaking up. And in the comments section, their faithful readers supporting their hatred and saying things like, "I would laugh if I read that she hung herself in a closet!" Why such poison? Take that energy that you're using on enjoying someone's pain, and put it towards making things better. Anything. But spending your time on celebrating the ruin of another person is gross. And kind of related but not really - what is up with the Bieber hatred? I get it. He's cheesy. And his hair is crazy. I should know, my hair is extreme-Bieber right now during the pixie-growing-out. And I don't think I'd ever buy his music. I couldn't even tell you what songs he sings. But these people who keep making jokes that he should just die already? That's shitty, man. Long live Biebs.
Stuff I have to remind myself of:
- Any time I find myself complaining about my first world problems, like that my house has crappy decoration from the previous owners (that I have yet to take care of in the 18 months of living here), or that my clothes aren't cool or whatever - I have to remind myself that someone in Africa had to walk 5 miles to get water, and was probably raped on the way there. Or that people in Syria are living in fear for their lives every single day. Perspective, you know?
- Audrey will only be tiny once in her life. Unless she's got some crazy genetic condition that I don't know about that might keep her the size of a 2-year-old for her entire life. Probably not. Anyway, I can't get too frustrated with the stuff she does as a tiny lady. Or frustrated with Julian for being a normal 8-year-old boy and having all of his thoughts centered on Wii games. They are who they are, and I can't force them (nor do I want to) make them into adults faster than they need to be.
- Candy is awesome. So is cake. And coffee. All of these things make The Happy.
- Don't go to Costco on an empty stomach, because then you will get ravenous and nomgobble a bunch of hot dog samples with the ferocity of someone who just escaped from a Turkish prison, even though you know hot dogs are gross and made of pigeon and rat butts.
- These people make every single day of my life better, even when they make me crazy: